Monday 15 September 2008

"Teacherhood"

Many people would ask "Why be a teacher?". They would give reasons not to be a teacher such as "It's a very stressful job, The pay is low, The students are ungrateful".
From what I can see though, teachers become teachers for a few reasons, among them lack of education so they are unable to pursue higher standings. Secondly, as an ambition. I'm sure many of us in our younger age have written the famed "Cita - cita saya" essay and and aspired to be a teacher.
All I can say is that passion is of utmost importance.. There is no use pursuing anything if we have no passion because without it we can't wholly put our hearts into it.
This afternoon we heard from Puan Thilaham that we may have scared Ms. Chee out of her decision of becoming a teacher and all I would like to say is this;
If teaching has been your dream since young, if you receive great pleasure from teaching a single child literature or a new word, If you are not afraid of sweat and tears or hardship then I on behalf of any of my fellow students who agree with me, encourage you to go through with what you have planned with all your heart.
One day, one of your student might be successful in some way and even though he never said it, deep inside his/her heart there will always be space for the teacher that had helped her through thick and thin.
I'd like to end with thanking Ms. Chee for teaching us and taking the effort to attract our attention.

3 comments:

Chee PoayLing said...

First of all, I wonder how did Pn. Thilaham tell you. I hope I don't scare you all away coz u all are not scaring me away from teaching. I don want to leave u all the impression of I am still pissed off or angry or what. NO, I wish to keep in touch with u all and friendship forever and a space for all of us to unite here to share our thoughts and passion.

I was rushing like a crazy lady to mark all of your books. It was the last few minute of my last day yet I had to do all the marking. That was the time Pn. Thilaham came in to send the last regard and I was in stressful mood coz another 10 min that would be the end of my teaching yet there are new books pilling up... so perhaps I look stress out...

Thank you for your video and your sharing in this blog. I am really happy now. It is greater than any big gift and I really mean it. If you read my blog 'the voice of my heart', you would know that what I want was your last goodbye for me and our last handshake for friendship. It sounds simple and bit fake yet it is what my heart sincerely wish for.

Do write when you have inspiration or some thoughts to share with us :) Here is our blog, remember :)

Kauntan said...

I must however correct this sentence of yours "..lack of education so they are unable to pursue higher standings"

Excuse me but I think that is an insult to every good teacher that has worked hard to study so that they can be movers of this country.

The years (4 to be exact and not to mention the years to come in postgraduate studies) we spend in university is certainly everything but the 'lack of education'.

Students of education not only have to study education but also the subject in which they are to be experts of.

Teaching physics in secondary school requires one to study concepts such as quantum mechanics; concepts way beyond what your curriculum encompasses.

As English teachers, we do more than just practice writing on the board. Our field of study covers topics like linguistics, psychology, philosophy, technology and the likes.

So unless you can clarify and substantiate your statement, I suggest you correct it.

Guy Fawkes said...

Well I am sorry but my main message of the post was to be an encouragement to the a certain teacher not all teachers in general.